February 11, 2011

I don't want to whine, but I really need to get this out. I've planned an elaborate Bachelorette Weekend for Liz, with different activities starting at 11am on Friday, going through lunchtime on Sunday. Next weekend.

I mailed the invitations out the week before the bridal shower (about 3 weeks ago). The RSVP deadline was yesterday. Obviously I need to know who is coming to which activity so I can make reservations for each part. I know that RSVPs don't really mean anything to anybody these days, and that's annoying on it's own. But when someone sends you a very detailed invite with lots of information on it... I don't know. To me, that would make me want to reply as quickly as possible.

There are 28 people invited to the whole weekend, with an additional 12 invited just to the lingerie shower portion. That's 40 people total. For my own sanity, I decided to not worry about those invited just to the lingerie shower- if they plan to come, they have to know what hotel room to go to, so they'll have to call me that day.

That didn't help. I'm paralyzed today. I'm still waiting to hear from 3 people for the weekend. One is a bridesmaid. The other two I've never met. One lives in Seattle and just emailed me saying she wanted to come but needed more details. What?!

I had yesterday and today off of work and planned to purchase all of the food, drinks, favors, supplies, and extra details today. I also planned to make reservations and give final numbers to the vendors I've been working with for weeks. For one of the activities, if we have 7 people or less there is one cost, but if we have 8 or more, the cost jumps up over a hundred bucks. Right now I'm sitting on 5 people. That means if the remaining 3 people respond yes, the cost jumps up for me. Since I've already quoted a price, I can't very well go back and tell them they owe me more.

So now it's 2:45. I planned to work out today, and run to a couple of different stores for supplies. As well as making final arrangements with the vendors. Have I done any of it? No. I sat on the couch (still am) and watched crappy TV. I haven't even brushed my teeth.

Is it my fault for planning something so elaborate? I could have just had a house party and told everyone to show up if they wanted to.

Am I being annoying by sending 2 reminder emails asking for RSVPs? I sent one a week ago, and one yesterday morning. Then I sent 4 individual reminders this morning to the ones I hadn't heard from. Still waiting on the 3.

On top of all of it, I anticipated more people coming since so many were invited. Looks like I will be spending over a grand of my own money to make the weekend happen. Spending the money is worth it to me, but having to deal with people not responding plus spending that much money?

It's too much.

Do I have a right to be mad (really mad) at the non-responders?
Or am I just crazy?
Share:

1 comments:

Jeanette Thompson said...

You very definitely have a reason and a right to be very mad. You are not alone nor crazy. Maybe the unfortunate consequence of our go, go, go society has many individuals whose manners got up and left = RUDE. Some are overwhelmed with decision so they decide not to deal with RSVP. Hope — the pendulum swings back and that in the near future manners are "in" again.