April 10, 2017

Rapunzel Play Dress

This play dress was fun to put together. I am not a seamstress but I found the miracle of clear thread that helped me stitch some of the details together. I purchased the dress from Primary.com (with matching shorts to go underneath). The quality is great, nice thick fabric. 

I found a spool of pink/purple ribbon on clearance and it was perfect. A roll of pink ribbon, white lace, and gold cord and I was all set!

The defining characteristics of Rapunzel's dress are the sleeves, the gold lace up bodice, and the white lace collar. I think with those 3 features, it's pretty obvious who the outfit is emulating. 

 

I started with the gold lacing and decided to just use fabric glue. It was so simple. I started at the bottom and just free-handed it, gluing and pinning as I went until it was all stuck down. Let it dry a couple of hours, and pulled the pins out. Tied a bow at the top and I was done!

 

While that dried, I stitched the side pieces and sleeve pieces, then glued the pink ribbon on top of the sleeve pieces. The white lace was quickly stitched onto the neckline. And that's it!

 

Abigail was so excited to try it on and pose. Although she did complain that the lace neck was itchy, so I pulled it off before our trip. When we got to our last day at Disney World, this was the last dress but when she put it on, the sleeves were itchy so she didn't wear it. I tucked the ends of the ribbon under the edge of the sleeve and that's the part that was bothering her. I'm planning to fix it and I'll post an update if I can get it right. 

This dress was my least favorite but it was Bean's very favorite!
Share:

0 comments: