December 31, 2019

2019: A Year in Review



1. What did you do in 2019 that you'd never done before? Saw In The Heights (twice!); saw Dear Evan Hansen; saw The Book of Mormon; branched out by having my cousin babysit; watched Frozen 2 (twice); couple's counseling; removed a patio's worth of brick pavers by hand; went to Disney on Ice; tried Aerial Yoga and Yoga Nidra; WON a raffle- a play house for the backyard!;  and started a few new hobbies: cross stitch, paint by numbers, and diamond painting.

2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I didn't keep my resolution to wake up and not look at my phone and use that time to meditate. I think I did it once. I did cross most stuff off of my To-Do list for the year though! For 2020 my resolution is to drastically reduce / eliminate single use plastics from my life, and reduce our trash output (and also for my family). So far I have reusable straws, a plan for when I order smoothie bowls, and reusable cutlery for the whole family to keep in my backpack. I also will never buy saran wrap again and have a plan for that. 

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? We got a couple of cousins this year! And they are super cute!

4. Did anyone close to you die? Thankfully no! But I hope I was able to support Maggie in losing her dad at least a little bit. 

5. What countries did you visit? We stayed in the USA again this year. It was super hard to turn down a free trip to Rome though. I may or may not have cried in yoga after saying no. 

6. What would you like to have in 2020 that you lacked in 2019?  A husband who is around and awake and feeling healthy.

7. What date from 2019 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? Our entire trip to Colorado. Getting to experience the beauty of that place with our girls, finding a new guilty pleasure TV show, riding a train, seeing dinosaur stuff, and eating amazing food without getting sick were all just wonderful.

9. What was your biggest failure? I'm still working on yelling at my kids. It seems programmed into me. I want to have a happy, healthy family- including mental health so I've been working on that for me. 

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? no, this was a very healthy year

11. What was the best thing you bought? wine? for the record, buying things usually makes me unhappy because it's more I have to take care of, so anything consumable makes me happy... on the other hand maybe the best thing I bought is all the smoothie bowls because one of them has turmeric in it which I've been too afraid to try

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? The parents of one of Abby's little friends for being cool and giving me someone to look up to on how to handle things. They are super laid back. 

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? I don't know if I would go as far as appalled and depressed but there is a mom up at school who I've met and had conversations with several times that also chooses to blatantly ignore me every time I see her. I'm guessing its a personal problem. (shrug)

14. Where did most of your money go? Replacing our roof with an upgraded material, and installing a sweet and clean concrete patio in the front and back. Plus we replaced our living room furniture from hand me downs to stuff that we love and looks like us. Next year we get to decorate the patio!

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? See above. The patio felt like Christmas for an entire week. It's SO MUCH BETTER!!

16. What song will always remind you of 2019? The Frozen 2 soundtrack, specifically Kristoff's song Lost in the Woods because of it's 80's awesomeness

17. Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder?  about the same

ii. thinner or fatter? same
iii. richer or poorer? richer due to re-budgeting and drastically paying down our mortgage and the rent house mortgage

18. Is there anything you wish you'd done more of? salsa dancing! And I'd like to take this opportunity to pat ourselves on the back for the quantity of date nights this year. I should put a question....

18.1 How many date nights did you go on this year? 7... all but 1 were within the last 3 months

18.2 Which date night was your favorite? A tie between salsa dancing with friends, and going to see In the Heights and Dear Evan Hansen where I spilled a drink called La Mujer mas Difficil all over Bean's clothes. 

18.3 Did you take a trip without kids? Yes! We went to NOLA with our college friends for a long weekend of fun dinners, the most hilarious brunch conversation, and that free feeling of no responsibilities. 

19. Is there anything you wish you'd done less of? worry, allow anxiety to rule my thoughts

20. Where will you be spending the Holidays? We spent Thanksgiving in Houston with my mom's side of the family, which is always fun because my cousins are older and we have some great conversations. We spent Christmas at home and I can't say I've loved it because my husband is having to work all the days surrounding each holiday which means he is tired. He's currently taking a 3+ hour nap while I do all my regular stuff. 

21. Any athletic achievements? I have yoga hands and feet. They are muscular and lumpy and I'm proud of them. Also I have a regular Zumba habit now!

22. Did you fall in love in 2019? not any more than usual

23. How many one-night stands? this is the dumbest question. I'm too old for that shite!

23.1 What Family Trips did you take? We went to Austin, Colorado, and Broken Bow

24. What was your favorite TV program? The Masked Singer, This is Us, all the TLC shows, and I did sign up for Lifetime Movie Network, so basically I'll be in front of the TV all  year if you need me. 

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year? ain't nobody got time for that!

26. What was the best book you read? The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin

27. What was your greatest musical discovery? This year was not my best for musical discoveries... I don't think I found anything new because I've been drinking up podcasts

28. What did you want and get? socks, a new patio, a new roof, a new sectional and rug
     -What did you get but forgot you wanted? a soda stream

29. What did you want and not get?  lululemon workout pants, a manicure, a natal chart reading

30. What was your favorite film of this year?  I guess Frozen 2 since it's the only one I can remember. WAIT! Let's go with Downton Abbey because I saw it with Maggie. Also we had a girls weekend/night in a hotel and it was wonderful getting to just relax and talk and order room service breakfast!

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? Apparently I turned 36, and I didn't do anything that I remember. What a disgrace! I'll need to step it up next year. 

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Feeling like I'm able to set down my chores / requirements for a little bit, or having some back up from my partner who is always awesome about encouraging me to take breaks

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2019?  Stay at Home Mom / yoga / Rent the Runway for mom's night out

34. What kept you sane? Yoga. Did I even need to say that?

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?  Dolly Parton after listening to a podcast called Dolly Parton's America where I learned that she has several tattoos including butterflies, bows, and lace but they are all to cover up scars from plastic surgery. She has a great heart and I dig it. 

36. What political issue stirred you the most?  I buried my head in the sand as much as possible but I do enjoy knowing that the president is being impeached. 

37. Who did you miss? Liz. I got hit with a tidal wave about a week ago from a Shutterfly email, then a memory popped up and I was reminded how every holiday I would be in Houston for a week and it was basically to spend it with her every day. One year it snowed. We played Flag Football, drove around listening to Christmas music, ate ice cream, talked and talked and laughed and joked, and I really miss her. I wish I could hear her voice and that getting a new phone didn't result in losing the voicemails I had saved from her. I also missed my friend Mel who moved to San Francisco last year because our schedules are so opposite that we hardly get to talk- same thing on that is Jess.

38. Who was the best new person you met? The parents at Francie's preschool. They are super fun, one family has given Bean a new dad-friend that he has been on a couple of man-dates with, and we have all hung out as a group several times. I've never had that level of involvement and enjoyment with such a big group of parents.... although it's looking like something similar is developing with the 1st grade parents too. Exciting times!

39. Rate this year on a scale of 1-10:  8.5... I'm still working toward a solid 9.5 for next year though!

Share:

0 comments: