May 20, 2013

My Last Sales Meeting

Several years ago I wrote about my first sales meeting, and now I can release this post about my last. I've officially turned in my notice after 8 years with SW.

I've had a feeling for several months now, which was magnified with the pregnancy, that I should listen to my heart and try something new career-wise. Figuring out just what exactly has been hard. I have so many careers I'd like to do in my life: own a Jamba Juice, manage rent houses, and own a party planning destination. And on top of those ideas, I'd love to just work somewhere for about 30-40 hours a week and then go home. So since I have the perfect opportunity to try that last one with the family business, I'm going to go for that one first! I'm very excited to learn something new and recharge my batteries. I need to be a productive worker again- the last year of work (or more) has really run me into the ground spiritually and emotionally.

So I'd like to think my last sales meeting was the best yet, but it wasn't. It was the best in the sense that I had the best roommate yet, I got the most sleep out of any of them, and I won a sales award and got to walk the stage. It was still completely exhausting but fun to reconnect with friends.

I wondered how being pregnant would affect the 'Sales Meeting Experience': generally partying with mostly male colleagues who seem to think they have a chance. It was certainly eye opening!

One friend was so freaked out by my 8-month belly that he didn't talk to me for almost 2 days and ran away when I asked if he was afraid of pregnant women! Apparently he acted the same way with his own wife, which is really weird. I either got the 'are you ok? Do you need anything? Here, take my seat' reaction or the complete avoidance reaction from the guys. Girls acted more normal or started sharing stories of their own pregnancies.

I got a more interested reaction when asked my due date when I said 'April Fools Day' rather than 'April 1st'.

I got my belly rubbed by a stranger for the first time (luckily it was a female).

And the weirdest comment I got was from a man twice my age on formal night: "I was just admiring your figure and thought, she must be having fun!" (uh... What?!) Super creepy.

My favorite moment was after I walked the stage, Smashing Pumpkins came on and the baby started to move. I realized that walking the stage was nowhere near as fun as feeling that movement and thinking about Donna.

And nothing about that job was as fun or important as my actual life- I'd given so much of myself to without getting much back in the end. Sure, I made quite a bit of money, which helped us get out of pointless debt, and for that I'm proud. But the sacrifices I made near the end far outweigh the benefits. Don't get me wrong, the company is wonderful to work for, but I ignored my own yearnings for so long, there was nothing that could be done other than this.


Share:

0 comments: