December 30, 2021

2021: The hardest year in recent memory

 1. What did you do in 2021 that you'd never done before?  Exclusively pumped, fed a child formula (no shame either way, it was just the first time I relied on it), went 10 months without sleep, did exactly ZERO house projects and ZERO date nights (no wonder this year was awful), called the PSI helpline after a very traumatic evening when my mental health was nonexistent, physical therapy


2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year? We did work very hard on our 1000 hours outside resolution and we might make it to 400 hours, depending on how the last day of the year goes tomorrow. I haven't counted all month but we have had great weather and have made it a point to get outside. I even took a nap on the couch outside! A miracle! I consider that a win! We are going to try again for 1000 hours outside now that the baby is mobile and we are in such a good groove already. My personal big goal is one concert or show per month- so far I have January, February, April and June booked! I also have smaller health goals for each month to get myself feeling normal again. 

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Maggie had her baby girl Charlotte and my friend Sam had her baby girl Ava!

4. Did anyone close to you die? Aunt Sherri died of Covid early in the year. It was nerve wracking being at her service with a very small baby- lots of people in a small space and we were very Covid- cautious since I wasn't eligible for vaccination yet. We did also celebrate Aunt Judy's life with a beautiful graveside service planned by my cousins. They had cigarettes to smoke, champagne, chocolate covered cherries, and everyone stood up and told fun stories. I even said the word 'Queef' into a microphone- explaining the funniest moment of my life, when she had to read that word over and over at a family reunion. I miss her so much but I also know she is with me and she lives through me. 

5. What countries did you visit? US of A; we didn't travel much

6. What would you like to have in 2022 that you lacked in 2021? Date Nights. Yoga and gym time. Concerts! Comedy shows! Frequent dinners with friends and all the things that I've been missing due to the pandemic and then hard hard hard newborn life. 

7. What date from 2021 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? September 24th, the day of Aunt Judy's service- it would have been her 77th birthday

9. What was your biggest failure? I don't think this is a failure on my part, but failing to recognize that waking every 2 hours all night to nurse at 10 months old is not normal or advised.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? I did physical therapy for 3 months to help repair severe diastasis recti (abdominal separation) and 2 pelvic floor prolapses. I got much better but my symptoms have returned. Hoping to get into a better workout flow and help my body continue to heal. 

11. What was the best thing you bought? I just in the last week purchased myself some new pjs, eyelash booster, and tickets to 2 shows I've been wanting to see (David Sedaris and Tig Notaro) 

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? my own. I was able to set limits and turn down obligations as needed. I also walked around Disney World holding a heavy baby while my body was falling out, so...

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? honestly, my own. Surrounding postpartum, I was doing everything I could to survive, and it was not pretty. 

14. Where did most of your money go? Into Savings again. We are moving forward with the kitchen remodel in 2022. We did take a trip to Disney after going to a wedding in Savannah which was fairly expensive overall

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Our trip to Savannah and Disney World. It was way too much to handle with a 3 month old baby but we did it and it was enjoyable! Definitely good memories there!  

16. What song will always remind you of 2021? Maybe the modern songs played on classical instruments in Bridgerton

17. Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder?  Happier, thankfully.

ii. thinner or fatter? Thinner but not to my normal body yet
iii. richer or poorer? Richer in bank accounts but poorer in time together as a family

18. Is there anything you wish you'd done more of? Yoga. Pumping and formula earlier on. 

18.1 How many date nights did you go on this year? Zero. 

18.2 Which date night was your favorite? If we are counting anything, it might be the time we took the baby to Home Depot and left the girls at home. It was 30 minutes of bliss- roaming the aisles with no complaining!

18.3 Did you take a trip without kids? Nope.

19. Is there anything you wish you'd done less of? Google search things like: cerebral palsy, autism, spinal cord injuries, etc in the middle of the night

20. Where will you be spending the Holidays? We stayed home again this year. 

21. Any athletic achievements? We walked to school a lot?

22. Did you fall in love in 2021? not really

23. How many one-night stands? nope

23.1 What Family Trips did you take? In March, we traveled to Savannah for our dear friends wedding and then surprised the kids with Disney World to finish out the week. Then in August I took the kids down to Houston and Bean met us in Galveston at the end of the week for a big family get together. Then in September we went on the short trip to Tyler for Aunt Judy's service.

24. What was your favorite TV program? Maid on Netflix, This Is Us, And Just Like That, and corny binge shows like 12 Dates of Christmas

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year? ain't nobody got time for that! (Keeping this answer from last year)

26. What was the best book you read? It was hard to get back into reading, but I did read a couple of books. I also gave up on some other books that were too verbose or too much to learn or whatever other reason. That always feels weird to me to give up like that on a book.

27. What was your greatest musical discovery? Amos Lee- I had been listening to him but I became a full fan this year

28. What did you want and get? sleep, finally
     -What did you get but forgot you wanted? Flowers from Bean

29. What did you want and not get?  Still want a natal chart reading, to visit a medium, and to take llamas on a walk (this is a real thing!)- I wrote these all on a shareable google doc to share with Bean for future reference :)

30. What was your favorite film of this year?  In The Heights! I took myself to see it, planned out the times to a T to not miss a breastfeeding session with my frequent eater and enjoyed every minute of sitting in a dark movie theater with wine and popcorn (my favorite combo) and chocolate. I cried most of the time. The movie was great but different from the stage show. 

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I guess I turned 38 and it was terrible because 2 days prior was Aunt Judy's service. So my birthday was the first day I started exclusive pumping and the start of a huge turnaround in sleep and eating. So I guess that's good. We went to Gloria's for dinner a week later and everyone was whiny so that was not super fun. Also no cards or gifts from my family for the first time ever.

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? If my pediatrician had gently suggested at Brooks' 6 month appointment that if nursing every 2 hours all day and night was not working for me (the mom), then I could change it. That would have dramatically improved my year but I'm also not sure I would have heard the message. It would have depended on how they said it. But I did bring it up at his one year appointment, so I hope I helped them see things from a different perspective.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2021?  Nothing fits. I hate my clothes. I'm going to clean out my closet next year.

34. What kept you sane? Friends who would call just to check in. Who said sweet things like that I was a bright spot in their day when I felt like complete garbage. 

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?  None?

36. What political issue stirred you the most?  Abortion rights. Per usual.

37. Who did you miss? Houston friends that I did not see as much as normal. Aunt Judy and Aunt Sherri. 

38. Who was the best new person you met? I feel like I lived under a rock and didn't meet anyone new. Unless you count deepening friendships with a couple of the preschool moms from the Spring, before Francie started Kindergarten. 

39. Rate this year on a scale of 1-10:  1. Too much death and sadness and grasping for hope.

Share:

0 comments: